- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or a 9-in.-square baking pan. Cover with apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Pour over apples. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Winning Apple Crisp
Sort By :
"Everyone enjoyed this Apple Crisp. I diced the apple smaller then normal. Going to add peaches next time."
"I would recommend cooking it an additional 20-25 minutes. I really liked my apples soft like apple pie and the topping more caramelized. It was fantastic!"
"I liked this recipe, but I thought there was way too much sugar involved! I cut (both) the brown & the white sugars in half, and the final result was exceptionally delicious. I made real whipped cream, to which I added some cinnamon while whipping it. Yummy...."
"Excellent, thanks for sharing. My girlfriend liked it and she's pretty finicky. Great big ole spoon of Coolwhip was the only improvement here. Thanks again."
"I haven't tried this recipe, but really want to find one similar to what I made as a teenager - WITHOUT oats! If carolanne1210 could share her "tried an true", I would like to see if hers is made without oats."