- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or a 9-in. square baking pan. Cover with apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Pour over apples. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Winning Apple Crisp
"Easy and delicious !! I used Honey Crisp apples and will try other apples next time. There will definitely be a next time...excellent in my book !"
"Definitely a winning recipe at my house! This is the best apple crisp I've ever eaten."
"I have to say I was a little concerned because of all the flour and corn starch, but it was absolutely delicious!"
"I really loved this recipe. We acquired some apples from my son's tree which we believe to be a golden delicious. Therefore I did cut the sugar for the filling back to 1/2 cup and used 2 TBSP Apple Cider vinegar in the cup of water to tang it up. Of course I had to eat my first serving before it had cooled completely with melting vanilla ice cream on top. So delish, and I know it will be even better tomorrow after the flavors blend together. I will make it with granny smith apples and try apple cider instead of water next time and I believe it'll be perfect for my family's taste. Thanks so much for sharing Gertrude!"
"This is one of the best apple crisp recipes I have tried. I did cut back the sugars by half and will cut back more, next time I make it, as I still found it sweet. I did add some nutmeg and will add more cinnamon next time."
"Love this! It's my go-to apple crisp recipe. I do also cut down on the sugars and go heavy on the apples and it is delicious. Love the way the crust/topping gets a little chewy/crispy. Sometimes I double the recipe in a 13x9 for company."
"Very very sweet, even with cutting the sugars in half."
"I thought it was amazing and will definitely make it again. I cut the whole recipe in half because I made it for just two people. I will probably cut back on some of the sugar also."
"This was an awesome apple crisp, followed suggestions and cut both sugars in half. Loved the bottom crust !"
"Even though I gave this recipe 5 stars, I think there is WAY too much sweetness with 2 cups of sugars. Fantastic recipe and this is definitely a keeper. I will just decrease the amount of both white and brown sugar the next time!"