Winning Apple Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or a 9-in. square baking pan. Cover with apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Pour over apples. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Winning Apple Crisp(125)
Sort By :
It was way too sweet. I could taste the brown sugar. May try again, but will cut down on both the white and brown sugars.
This was good except it was hard getting the bottom crust out when cutting and serving. The next time I make this, I will cut the topping in half and only put in on the top of the apples. I will also cut down on the sugars as someone else did.
Aside from being way too sweet, I thought it was good. Will make again, and just cut down on the oatmeal and brown sugar.
We really liked this recipe. The first time I followed it exactly and it turned out great. Recently I had some pears that I needed to do something with so I pulled this recipe out again. This time I used a 9 x 13 dish; didn't use any of the crumbles for a crust; all crumbles went on top; and used 8 to 10 pears. The results were just as good and probably saved a few calories!
Very good recipe, followed it exactly and came out great.