- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or a 9-in.-square baking pan. Cover with apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Pour over apples. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Winning Apple Crisp
Sort By :
Sounded interesting, so I gave it a try. This was much too sweet, and the bottom was hard. I'll stick with my old tried-and-true!
I thought this recipe was too sweet also and a little dry. I cut down on the white sugar, only used a 3rd cup and I added a few more apples to add a little more liquid.
It was way too sweet. I could taste the brown sugar. May try again, but will cut down on both the white and brown sugars.
This was good except it was hard getting the bottom crust out when cutting and serving. The next time I make this, I will cut the topping in half and only put in on the top of the apples. I will also cut down on the sugars as someone else did.
Aside from being way too sweet, I thought it was good. Will make again, and just cut down on the oatmeal and brown sugar.