Wholesome Whole-Grain Waffles Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- Mixed fresh berries and confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, flax, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg yolks, milk, oil and applesauce; stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with berries and confectioners' sugar if desired.
- To freeze, arrange waffles in a single layer on sheet pans. Freeze overnight or until frozen. Transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag. Waffles may be frozen for up to 2 months.
- To use frozen waffles: Reheat waffles in a toaster. Serve with berries and confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 waffles.
Reviews for Wholesome Whole-Grain Waffles
Sort By :
these waffles were just so, so. texture was good for the whole wheat flour ratio, taste alright, ease of preparation good, but nothing special.
Great recipe! For a healthy alternatative to the traditional waffle recipe, I was pleasantly surprised when the kids asked for seconds. This is definitely a keeper.
These were great! Since my husband cannot have milk, I used almond milk. I substituted whole wheat sprouted grain flour for the all purpose flour. Really enjoyed these.