White Bean Fennel Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups shredded fresh spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and fennel in oil until tender. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until fennel is tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Add spinach; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for White Bean Fennel Soup
Sort By :
Perfect combination of ingredients. I used the veggie broth. For my second bowl :) I added a dash of sweet Thai Chili Sauce, and it was delicious, too. I will definitely make this soup again!
I loved this recipe! I added garlic and bacon to the soup and served over pasta with some parm cheese. Easy to make and oh so tasty!
I made this soup tonight, and was pleasantly pleased. I added a few carrots, 4 cloves garlic minced, 3 cups more broth, fresh herbs I'm growing, and 1/2 tsp salt, I used 3/4 c. orzo, and the soup was wonderful, and will make it many more times. served it with parmesan and garlic bread. thanks Donna for the wonderful recipe!
This is very good and the broth is surprisingly rich!