My sister shared this chili recipe with me. I usually double it and add one extra can of beans, then serve with cheddar biscuits or warmed tortillas. The jalapeno adds just enough heat to notice but not too much for my children. —Kristine Bowles, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil.
- Stir in the onion, garlic and jalapeno; cook 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with oregano and cumin; cook 1 minute longer or until chicken is browned and vegetables are tender. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of beans; add 1/2 cup broth and stir until blended. Add to the slow cooker with the remaining beans and broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as White Bean Chicken Chili in Taste of Home February/March 2008, p31
Reviews for White Bean Chicken Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review