White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil.
- Stir in the onion, garlic and jalapeno; cook 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with oregano and cumin; cook 1 minute longer or until chicken is browned and vegetables are tender. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of beans; add 1/2 cup broth and stir until blended. Add to the slow cooker with the remaining beans and broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for White Bean Chicken Chili
Sort By :
"I have been making this recipe for many years. I mash 1 can of beans with some broth and add 2 additional cans drained beans to the soup. It seems to give it the right consistency for a chili. I add chopped canned jalapeno depending on who I am serving (kids- no jalapeno). I put out bowls of toppings for each person to select their own such as crushed baked tortilla chips, chopped avocado, chopped tomato, cheddar cheese, and sour cream. This is the most delicious soup and my family requests it even in the summer!!"
"Love this recipe!!! It is more of a soup than chili but who cares...it is delicious! My hubby loves this (even the leftovers). You have to try it!"
"I did not add as much broth added some white wine for extra flavor and a can of crushed tomatoes to give it that chili flavor. It was great."
"Need to leave the jalapeno out when the kids are here. Otherwise it was great!"
"This has great flavor but "chili" is misleading. It is more like a soup with a chili flavor. I did add a second can of beans mashed to give it a bit more thickness and my son and I like a little more heat so, I used all of the jalepeno pepper, seeds and all. Very tasty and nice for a cold night."