This is an excellent way to serve one of the season's most delicious vegetables—butternut squash. Its rich flavor and golden harvest color really come through in this smooth vegetable side dish. —Dorothy Pritchett, Wills Point, Texas
- 1 butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring squash, water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt if desired to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Drain; transfer to a bowl. Add butter, brown sugar, nutmeg and remaining salt if desired; beat until smooth. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Whipped Squash in Taste of Home December/January 1997, p31
Reviews for Whipped Squash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review