With this hearty main dish recipe, the bread is baked right in the casserole. The meal covers all four food groups, and it's a guaranteed family pleaser. —Darlene Alexander, Nekoosa, Wisconsin
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican-style corn, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Stir in remaining filling ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all crust ingredients except 1/2 cup cheddar cheese; mix well. Spread on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or 10-in. ovenproof skillet.
- Pour filling into prepared crust. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Western Beef and Cornmeal Pie in Taste of Home June/July 1993, p59
Reviews for Western Beef and Cornmeal Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review