Western Beef and Cornmeal Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican-style corn, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Stir in remaining filling ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all crust ingredients except 1/2 cup cheddar cheese; mix well. Spread on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or 10-in. ovenproof skillet.
- Pour filling into prepared crust. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Western Beef and Cornmeal Pie(6)
Sort By :
I would have given this a higher rating except for one factor. The cornmeal crust was still mush on the bottom and sides, except the edges were done at 30 mins. It needs to be pre-baked for about 10 minutes before you put the filling in so the whole crust is crispy. I also made 2 changes. I didn't have baking powder so I used 2 small boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix. I also took out the sugar because BBQ sauce is so sweet. I don't know if this made the cornmeal crust so mushy, but I can't see what the difference would be from the scratch. We will try this again doing the pre-bake on the crust.
My husband and i liked this. I added 1/4 chopped onion little garlic powder and seasoning salt, in place of reg salt. Baked for 35-40 min. Then added more cheese after baking. Can use reg flour instead of all purpose. Turned out great!
The combination of flavors was really different for us. Neither my husband nor myself liked this dish at all. I followed the directions accurately but the barbecue sauce and tomato paste combination was just not good. The crust recipe was great, we just didn't like the filling.
whole family loved it. did not have Mexican corn, added salsa.
This was delicious! I did have to bake this in a different pan since I don't have an ovenproof skillet. I also used 1/2 lb of beef and added in a can of rinsed and drained black beans. Also used tomato sauce in place of the tomato paste.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Dinner Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >