Corned Beef Hash Rustic Pie
This suppertime pie has all the yummies: homemade crust, seasoned potatoes, and lots and lots of corned beef and cheese. How could you not fall in love with it? I know we have. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 tablespoons cold lager beer or beef broth
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/4-in. cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- RUSTIC PIE:
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1 tablespoon cold whole milk or heavy whipping cream
- Whisk flour, salt and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas. Gradually add beer, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes and salt in a small saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Drain. Return to saucepan; add green onions, butter, mustard and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until potatoes are tender and browned, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- Roll dough between two pieces of waxed paper to a 1/8-in.-thick, 12-in.-diameter circle. Remove top piece of waxed paper; place a 9-in. pie plate upside down over crust. Lifting with waxed paper, carefully invert crust into pan. Remove waxed paper. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Prick bottom and sides of crust with a fork; line with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool slightly.
- To assemble the rustic pie, layer half the corned beef, half the cheese and three-fourths of potato mixture in baked crust. Repeat corned beef and cheese layers; sprinkle with remaining potato mixture. Reroll dough trimmings; use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make shamrock petals and a knife to cut out a stem. Brush dough trimmings with milk. Bake until crust and cheese are golden brown, 35-40 minutes.