Corned Beef Hash Rustic Pie
This suppertime pie has all the yummies: homemade crust, seasoned potatoes and lots and lots of corned beef and cheese. How could you not fall in love with it? I know we have. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 tablespoons cold lager beer or beef broth
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/4-in. cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- RUSTIC PIE:
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1 tablespoon cold whole milk or heavy whipping cream
- Whisk flour, salt and sugar; cut in butter until the size of small peas. Gradually add beer, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes and salt in a small saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Drain. Return to saucepan; add green onions, butter, mustard and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until potatoes are tender and browned, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- Roll dough between two pieces of waxed paper to a 1/8-in.-thick, 12-in.-diameter circle. Remove top piece of waxed paper; place a 9-in. pie plate upside down over pastry. Lifting with waxed paper, carefully invert pastry into pan. Remove waxed paper. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork; line with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool slightly.
- To assemble the rustic pie, layer half the corned beef, half the cheese and three-fourths of potato mixture in baked crust. Repeat corned beef and cheese layers; sprinkle with remaining potato mixture. Reroll dough trimmings; use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make shamrock petals and a knife to cut out a stem. Brush dough trimmings with milk. Bake until crust and cheese are golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 356 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 827mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Corned Beef Hash Rustic Pie in Taste of Home Feb/Mar 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.