Ground Beef ‘n’ Rice Pie
Rhonda Van Gelderen of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin presses seasoned ground beef into a pie plate to form the crust of this comforting dish. "It's a terrific time-saver because you don't brown the beef separately," she writes.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, 3/4 cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, onion, green pepper if desired and seasonings. Press evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate, forming a crust.
- In another large bowl, combine the tomato paste and remaining tomato sauce. Stir in the rice and 3/4 cup cheese; pour into crust. Place pie plate on a baking sheet.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Uncover; drain. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 262 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.