- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms, onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add tomatoes; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; set aside. Combine cheeses and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a 7-in. circle. Spoon a scant 1/2 cup of vegetable mixture and 1/4 cup of cheese mixture over one side of each circle. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Place calzones 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk egg and water; brush over calzones. Bake 33-37 minutes.
Freeze option: Bake calzones 15 minutes and cool. Place in a resealable freezer bags. Seal bag and freeze up to 3 months. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Place frozen calzones 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Veggie Calzones
"I took a bunch of these to a church pot luck, made with my favorite pizza dough recipe. A family friend asked to take one home with him for later."
"These were okay, but not the greatest. I baked them for 35 mins which seemed way too long. I suggest to start checking at about 25 mins."
"I have made this a couple of times as a freezer meal for friends having babies and they have raved about them. I like that you can individually freeze them and take them out as needed. I also add sausage or turkey sausage to them for some extra flavor. I also use my bread machine pizza dough recipe (doubled) for the dough."
"I want to try my homemade pizza dough instead of the bread dough next time. Also added turkey sausage to them. They tasted good but weren't so pretty to look at! I need to get better at shaping them LOL."
"I substituted zucchini for the mushrooms and made pizza dough in the bread machine."
"These are delicious! I added olives and chilies to my recipe, with a bit of brown sugar to sweeten things up."