Veggie Calzones Recipe
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add tomatoes; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; set aside. Combine cheeses and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a 7-in. circle. Spoon a scant 1/2 cup of vegetable mixture and 1/4 cup of cheese mixture over one side of each circle. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Place calzones 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Whisk egg and water; brush over calzones. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Cool desired number of calzones; place in freezer bags. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining calzones 18-22 minutes longer or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- To use frozen calzones: Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Veggie Calzones(6)
Sort By :
I have made this a couple of times as a freezer meal for friends having babies and they have raved about them. I like that you can individually freeze them and take them out as needed. I also add sausage or turkey sausage to them for some extra flavor. I also use my bread machine pizza dough recipe (doubled) for the dough.
These are fairly simple to make and always turn out well. I freeze them individually to use as a quick dinner or lunch later on.
I want to try my homemade pizza dough instead of the bread dough next time. Also added turkey sausage to them. They tasted good but weren't so pretty to look at! I need to get better at shaping them LOL.
I substituted zucchini for the mushrooms and made pizza dough in the bread machine.
These are delicious! I added olives and chilies to my recipe, with a bit of brown sugar to sweeten things up.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Sandwiches >
- Mushroom Vegetarian Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Sandwich Recipes >
- Simple Vegetarian Recipes >