Loaded Chicken & Gouda Calzones
When I had my daughter, I tried to have a lot of meals in the freezer to make those first few weeks easier. These calzones were one of our favorites! We loved being able to pull them out and have dinner in minutes. I've dipped these in spaghetti sauce, pesto and ranch dressing, and they were all delicious! —Elisabeth Larsen, Pleasant Grove, Utah
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, chicken, red peppers, bacon, salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide each loaf of dough into four portions; press or roll each into an 8-in. circle. Place 1/2 cup filling over half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edge. Top each with 1/4 cup cheese. Fold dough over filling; pinch edge to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush tops with egg white. Bake 14-17 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Serve warm. Freeze option: Freeze cooled baked calzones in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, place calzones on greased baking sheets. Cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 350° oven 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 calzone: 528 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1156mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Chicken, Bacon, and Roasted Red Pepper Calzones in Freezer Meals 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.