Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1-2/3 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup diced pepperoni
- 1 cup shredded pizza cheese blend
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- In a small skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and peppers in oil until tender; cool. When bread machine cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll each portion into a 16x10-in. rectangle; spread with pizza sauce. Top with the onion mixture, pepperoni, pizza cheese and olives. Roll up each rectangle jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each into 12 slices (discard end pieces).
- Place slices cut side down in two greased 9-in. round baking pans or 10-in. cast-iron skillets. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
To make dough without a bread machine, dissolve yeast in warm water (110°-115°). Add milk powder, sugar, shortening, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Proceed with recipe as written.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 144 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2013
My family and I loved these rolls. They were easy and fun to make.
May 9, 2010
WE love this recipe. i have to double it to feed all my brothers. i usually just make a homeade sauce, spread it on the dough, sprinkle with olives, cheese, and pepperoni then roll up and slice. i sprinkle the tops with any leftover sauce and extra cheese!!! very yummy!!!! never fails!