Buffalo Chicken Calzones
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup hot pepper sauce, divided
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Dash Cajun seasoning
- 2 tubes (13.8 ounces each) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a small bowl, combine pizza sauce and 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce; set aside. In a large skillet, cook chicken and celery over medium heat in butter for 3-5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink; drain if necessary. Stir in Cajun seasoning and remaining hot pepper sauce; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Unroll pizza dough; divide each portion in half. On a floured surface, roll each into an 8-in. circle. Spread pizza sauce mixture over half of each circle to within 1 in. of edges. Top with chicken mixture and cheeses. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal.
- Sprinkle greased baking sheets with cornmeal. Place calzones over cornmeal. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Aug 8, 2013
This was hit at my office party. I used tomato sauce instead of pizza sauce and added more hot pepper sauce. We like it spicy! We dipped it in yogurt ranch dressing. Had several requests for the recipe.
Aug 16, 2012
We recently made these and they are very good. I thought that the amount of sauce would be too spicy, but it was just the right amount of heat. We will definately be making these again.
Jul 24, 2012
I have made this several times. A nice variation on the calzone. I do reduce the hot sauce..
Apr 25, 2010
This is a very tasty recipe! All the flavors blend really well! It's a very involved recipe, but definitely worth the effort.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.