Apples replace potatoes, with orange juice, cinnamon and vanilla helping to take this version to the dessert realm. —Candy McMenamin, Lexington, South Carolina
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 pounds apples (about 6 large apples), peeled and shredded
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the orange juice, milk, eggs and vanilla until blended; fold in apples.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Vanilla & Cinnamon-Kissed Apple Latkes in Taste of Home December/January 2012, p38
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla & Cinnamon-Kissed Apple Latkes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2011
"Yummy! Enjoyed these for breakfast."