- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder and ground cumin
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the beans, salsa, tomato sauce, tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with six tortillas. Spread with half of the remaining meat sauce; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining tortillas and meat sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Turkey Enchilada Casserole(12)
Sort By :
Very good recipe. My son used to be a chef and I asked him what he thought and he really liked it. The taste might be different depending on the salsa and canned items you use. Also used flour tortillas . I would recommend having sour cream as a topping. Definitely a keeper
I make this without the peppers and use Whole grain and white corn tortillas from The Tortilla Factory. It's a fantastic thing to make at home or for a party.
I'm not a big fan of Mexican type food, but this was great! Even my 2 and 5 yr olds gobbled it up.
This was really good! Husband loved it. Was NOT a mushy mess for us. Will make again for sure. Quick and Easy :)
Made this at home, husband loved it. Took it to a potluck, everyone raved. Use low-sodium black beans if you can. Also I use a whole wheat and corn blend tortilla to make it healthier yet. Two percent reduced fat cheddar won't change the taste either. I add more cheese than the recipe calls for to make it decadent. Top it with light sour cream and you have perfection.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Enchilada Casserole >
- Enchiladas >
- Ground Turkey Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Casserole Recipes >
- Mexican Casseroles >
- Mexican Dinners >