Turkey Enchilada Stack
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, minced onion, garlic powder, pepper and salt; heat through.
- In a 2-1/2-qt. round microwave-safe dish coated with cooking spray, layer one tortilla, about 3/4 cup meat mixture and a scant 3 tablespoons cheese. Repeat layers three times. Cover and microwave on high until cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with toppings if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 404 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 13, 2017
This was sooo good, and a good way to use leftover turkey!!! I saved some of the turkey, froze it, then used it later, using this recipe!! Yummm!
May 5, 2015
Made this to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It is simple and delicious. To save money, I just bought one 15 ounce can of tomato sauce and it turned out fine.
Sep 12, 2014
I made some adjustments to this recipe to avoid buying things I knew I wouldn't be using or needing to use in a while. Instead of dried onion I used about 1/3 cup real onion and sautéed it with a jalepeno. I then only had 3/4 lb of turkey so I used that...with 1.75 cups of tomato sauce...I added about 1/4 cup salsa. When I was assembling I only had 2 whole wheat tortillas but I had corn tortillas so I made the bottom layer as specified...then the corn tortilla and then the last whole wheat tortilla. I was very pleased with how quick it all went together and it tasted delish...I'm glad I added a corn tortilla it gave it a little more flavor I think! I served it with the shredded lettuce and sour cream.
Mar 31, 2014
I love this recipe, it is so easy to make. As a variant to the original recipe, I spread fat free refried beans on the second and fourth tortilla in addition to the original ingredients. I also add about a teaspoon of chili powder to the ground turkey mixture, gives it a little extra "kick"!
Mar 17, 2013
I've made this recipe twice now as is and it was a hit with my guys. You could do a lot of additions and be creative by adding other ingredients such as chopped green chilies or diced peppers and onions, black olives, beans-either black or kidney, beef or shredded chicken or turkey instead of ground turkey, or even substitute the tomato sauce for enchilada sauce. The meat can be cooked in a microwave instead of a skillet for even more convenience and time saving.