Simmered Turkey Enchiladas
I discovered a different way to serve economical turkey thighs. I simmer them in tomato sauce, green chiles and seasonings until they're tender and flavorful, then serve them in tortillas with our favorite fresh toppings. —Stella Schams, Tempe, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 pounds turkey thighs or drumsticks
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: chopped green onions, sliced ripe olives, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and shredded lettuce
- Remove skin from turkey; place turkey in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, chilies, onion, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and garlic powder; pour over turkey. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until turkey is tender.
- Remove turkey; shred meat with a fork and return to the slow cooker. Heat through.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of turkey mixture down the center of each tortilla. Fold bottom of tortilla over filling and roll up. Add toppings of your choice. Freeze option: Individually wrap cooled burritos in paper towels and foil; freeze in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, remove foil; place paper towel-wrapped burrito on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through, turning once. Let stand 20 seconds.
Nutrition Facts2 enchiladas: 497 calories, 20g fat (4g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1028mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 45g protein.
Originally published as Turkey Enchiladas in Quick Cooking March/April 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.