Sweet Potato Enchilada Stack
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine sweet potato and water. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until potato is almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, enchilada sauce, chili powder, oregano, cumin and sweet potato; heat through.
- Place a flour tortilla in a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; layer with a third of the beef mixture and cheese. Repeat layers twice. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 457 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 804mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
May 4, 2018
I made from scratch enchilada sauce, used low sodium black beans, and Multi Grain flour tortillas. I reduced the amount of ground beef to 3/4 of a pound, since I wasn't sure if my guys would even try it. This made 2 nice hearty layers. I loved all the flavors and texture. It froze and reheated great, and made a perfect dinner with a mixed green salad.
Mar 24, 2016
This was really good! Even my picky 1 year old liked it! Will make again!
Dec 28, 2015
Pretty good, and even better as leftovers. I doubled the recipe and froze one and the frozen casserole was good also; not soggy
Oct 1, 2015
This was very tasty. We ended up eating these as tacos instead. I love the combination of sweet potato, black beans, and meat. I added extra seasoning like garlic and crushed red pepper to make these spicy.
Aug 25, 2015
I don't know what I did wrong, but I found this to just be ok. I followed the directions exactly, except I put it in an 8x8 pan because I didn't have a pie dish big enough for that. The tortillas wound up really gooey and kind of disgusting. The meat mixture was also just ok, it didn't blow me away or anything. Maybe it's because I used yam instead of sweet potato? I doubt I'd retry this again even with sweet potato, since all the rest of the flavors weren't very good.
Apr 30, 2015
I would make this again.
Apr 22, 2015
This was REALLY good! I followed the directions except I used less chili powder, (1 tsp.) and I made my own homemade flour tortillas. (I used about 5 or 6 homemade tortillas). Also, I used a tall casserole dish so it would all fit. My husband told me four times during supper just how delicious he thought it was. I loved it too. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Mar 24, 2015
Super easy and yummy! A nice alternative to our standard recipe. Very mild- but we like it that way. Used a glass 8x8 pan instead of pie plate. It never would have all fit in there.
Nov 16, 2014
This is relatively simple and good. I would have liked it to be a little spicier, but definitely a good weeknight meal.
Oct 5, 2014
Loved it. The sweet potatoes were an excellent touch. I used a regular casserole dish. Very tasty, easy, and cheap.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.