Vegetarian Tortilla Stack
“Nearly all the meals I make are meatless," writes Wendy Fenstermacher of Allentown, Pennsylvania. "This is one of my husband’s favorites. If you like, you could vary the amount of jalapeno slices—or leave them out altogether. But I wouldn’t!” —
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 5 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1/3 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 5 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Stir in meat crumbles, cilantro and cumin; heat through.
- Spread 1/4 cup salsa into a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Layer with one tortilla, a fourth of the meat crumble mixture, 1/4 cup salsa, 1/4 cup cheese, 2 or 3 jalapeno slices and 1 tablespoon olives. Repeat layers three times. Top with remaining tortilla, salsa, olives and jalapeno slices.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteVegetarian meat crumbles are a nutritious protein source made from soy. Look for them in the natural foods freezer section.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 335 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 1111mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Vegetarian Tortilla Stack in Light & Tasty October/November 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.