Top Rated Hungarian Goulash Recipe
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound lean boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large skillet, brown beef, pork and onions in oil over medium heat; drain. Add the water, paprika, salt and marjoram; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Just before serving, combine flour and sour cream until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve over noodles. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Top Rated Hungarian Goulash(6)
Sort By :
We enjoyed this. It will not be bland if you use Hungarian paprika (and don't let your paprika get too old!) I also added more salt than the recipe calls for. Delish!
I have never made goulash before and this tasted great! I loved the addition of the sour cream. I tweaked the recipe a bit to feed my family of 6. I used 1 cup of water and 1/2 of beef broth and then added 1/2 cup water to the mixture when I added the sour cream. This makes it have a better consistency I think. I used beef round steak in this recipe and cut it into 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch cubes- they are easier to eat this way. I would also suggest using 3 cups uncooked medium (or wide) egg noodles for 6 people. Overall, very yummy, the whole family loved!
The pork and beef together, cooked until fall apart tender, along with the blending of seasonings, was a wonderful dinner for family and guest. It has become a family staple.
This was very good; my siblings, who are very tough critics, really liked it.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >