- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound lean boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large skillet, brown beef, pork and onions in oil over medium heat; drain. Add the water, paprika, salt and marjoram; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Just before serving, combine flour and sour cream until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve over noodles. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Top Rated Hungarian Goulash
Sort By :
I have made this many times. I usually brown the meat before I add the onions and cook until the onions are soft. I always double this recipe when I make it.
Instead of water I used beef broth. I used venision in place of beef and was a great recipe to use venison in. Did need to add more salt, but still worth making again.
We enjoyed this. It will not be bland if you use Hungarian paprika (and don't let your paprika get too old!) I also added more salt than the recipe calls for. Delish!
I have never made goulash before and this tasted great! I loved the addition of the sour cream. I tweaked the recipe a bit to feed my family of 6. I used 1 cup of water and 1/2 of beef broth and then added 1/2 cup water to the mixture when I added the sour cream. This makes it have a better consistency I think. I used beef round steak in this recipe and cut it into 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch cubes- they are easier to eat this way. I would also suggest using 3 cups uncooked medium (or wide) egg noodles for 6 people. Overall, very yummy, the whole family loved!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >