My children love this healthy apple side dish along with chicken fingers for lunch. It's also a wonderful alternative to potatoes when serving meat. My family even asks for seconds!—Constance Henry, Hibbing, Minnesota
Recommended: Baked Apples
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups apple cider
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 8 large Braeburn apples (about 4 pounds)
- 3-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, divided
- Place cider in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 18-20 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2/3 cup. Remove from heat; stir in butter.
- Peel and cut each apple into eight wedges. In a large bowl, toss apples with 1/4 cup of the reduced cider and 3 teaspoons thyme. Transfer to a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with remaining reduced cider. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until tender. Sprinkle with remaining thyme. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Thyme-Baked Apple Slices in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014