Thai Shrimp Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 lemon grass stalk
- 1 pound uncooked Daily Chef Uncooked Jumbo Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole baby corn, drained and cut in half
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the broth, water, brown sugar, ginger, fish sauce, curry paste and lemon grass. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully stir in shrimp and edamame. Cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Add the coconut milk, corn, bamboo shoots, basil, cilantro, lime juice, lime peel and curry powder; heat through. Discard lemon grass. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Thai Shrimp Soup(10)
Sort By :
This is really fantastic and light on the calories. You can really taste the lime in this so if you don't like lime; I'd skip it. I will be making this over and over again!
Our whole family loved this soup, and my sons ate two helpings each!
I substituted green curry paste for red, and lemon zest for lemon grass. We ate the soup served over long noodles.
This is a new family favourite! I can't wait to make it for friends.
Excellent. excellent, excellent. I always receive compliments when I make this soup, as well as requests for the recipe itself. My family and friends "like it hot' so I tend to kick it up a notch with the spices and I vary the veggies; last time I made the soup I tossed in a bag of frozen Oriental-style vegetables, as I had a bag on hand at the time. And I have never made this recipe using actual lemon grass stalk as my local grocery store carries chopped lemon grass stalk (in a tube)in the produce section.
This is the best soup I have ever had the pleasure of eating! I absolutly loved it. I couldn't find lemongrass so I left it out. I have a lot of non-shrimp eaters at my house so I put some cooked chicken in as well for them. I will make this as often as I can get away with it. Just printed out the recipe to share with a friend.
We loved this recipe! I didn't have coconut milk and substituted evaporated milk. I skipped the cilantro and lime zest, didn't have it on hand, but it was still awesome! Thanks for the recipe!
More Recipe Collections
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Seafood Soup >
- Shrimp Recipes >
- Shrimp Soup >