- 7 medium yellow summer squash, sliced (about 10 cups)
- 2-1/4 cups (9 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine squash, 3/4 cup cheese, onion, chilies and jalapenos. Sprinkle with flour and salt; toss to combine.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, covered, 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Spoon salsa over top; sprinkle with remaining 1-1/2 cups cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes. Top with green and red onions before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole
Sort By :
Very good recipe. I loved it !!!
Tried this recipe. Did not put all the peppers or hot spices because my husband has to stay away from spicy food. Just used the squash, flour, salsa, and I used mozzarella and cheddar shredded cheese. Was delicious and a quick fix meal.
I read some reviews indicating that it's "watery". This is what I did to eliminate that problem. I made only a half-recipe, but used the full amount of flour instead of reducing it by half. The consistency was excellent! My family really liked this. A change I'll try next time is to reduce the amount of jalapeños.
I used zucchini because that is what I had. I seeded the squash as I usually do and that cut down on the "watery" aspect. Delicious and easy to make! Good idea about turning it into soup...that's something I would do!
This recipe does a good job of balancing the freshness of the summer squash with the brightness of the spices of the chiles and pepper. I agree with other reviewers that the casserole remained slightly watery; however, the end result is a really flavorful dish.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Side Dishes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Mexican Casseroles >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Side Dishes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Carb Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Fat Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Mexican Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Side Dish Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Squash Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Vegetarian Recipes >
- Summer Squash Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >
- Vegetable Side Dishes >
- Vegetarian Recipes >
- Vegetarian Side Dishes >