- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 12 taco shells
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion and garlic until tender. Add lentils and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Cook, uncovered, until mixture is thickened, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mash lentils slightly; stir in salsa and heat through. Serve in taco shells. Top with remaining ingredients. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Tasty Lentil Tacos
"Yum!!! So good!"
"OMG!!! These were so yummy. I could not eat enough of tacos. Great choice!"
"The taco mixture is delicious! I didn't have any salsa, so I used half a can of diced tomatoes and half a can of chopped green chilis in place of the salsa. I put mine over tortilla chips, like nachos. I made it again a few days later (to use the rest of the tomatoes and chopped green chilis)! I ate some like chili. This is a definite keeper recipe!"
"Totally loved this dish!"
"Loved this recipe. My kids even ate it. Used red lentils and it was even tastier than any meal, and healthy too. I also used 0% Fage yogurt in place of sour cream. YUM!"
"This recipe didn't give me the option to select stars but if it had, I would have given it 5 stars. This recipe was very flavorful and I was really glad to find a recipe that was so tasty for lentils. I added some minced cilantro into mine & some red pepper flakes to give a little extra kick."
"These tacos are amazing! I don't think we'll ever use beef for tacos again!"
"I love this recipe because it's easy, inexpensive, and is a great meat substitute. You can make tacos, burritos, or taco salad with the lentil mixture. Also, it freezes really well!"