- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, whisk egg, yogurt, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and remaining cinnamon.
- Spoon a third of the batter into an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Top with a third of the brown sugar mixture. Repeat layers twice. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl the brown sugar mixture.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews for Swirl Cinnamon Bread
"I adjusted it to this and it bakes perfect every time. Makes great muffins too.3/4 plus 1/3 c. granulated sugar2 tsp ground cinnamon (more to taste)2 c. all-purpose flour1 Tbsp. baking powder1/2 tsp. salt1 egg (beaten)1 c. milk1/3 c. vegetable oilPreheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Mix 1/3 c. sugar and cinnamon; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining sugar. Combine egg, milk, and oil; add to flour mixture. Stir by hand just until moistened. Pour half the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half the cinnamon mixture. Repeat with remaining batter and cinnamon mixture. Draw a knife through batter to marble.Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean"
"It wouldn't let me do 0 stars so I had to give it a one star rating. I was so looking forward to making this. I was so disappointed with the outcome, as well as my family. It was very thick, moist but seemed tough and had an odd flavor. I followed the recipe. I love making foods from scratch, but unfortunately I prefer box mixes I have made over this. Sorry, never again for this recipe."
"Batter was very thick so I added about 1/3 cup of fat free half and half. It was somewhat easier to spread the batter, but I could not swirl it. Waiting to taste it now. Love all the ingredients....they are easy and I always have them on hand. It is sure to taste great!"
"I thought it turned out a little dry. The dough was very thick and sticky, not typical quick bread dough. Next time, I'll add more oil."
"I have made this twice in the last 2 weeks as my family just loves this bread. I made a couple of substitutions as well. I used reduced fat vanilla yogurt for the plain yogurt and cut back to 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract. I also substituted baking Splenda for the sugar. Dough was thick both times I made it too but was able to spread it into 3 layers. Tried to swirl bread the first time but was a bit messy. So didn't bother the second time No one noticed :) I love homemade bread and this one is just delicious!!"