Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili Recipe
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a nonstick Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute sweet potatoes and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, coffee, honey, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili(39)
Sort By :
This sounds amazing! Can't wait to try it.
WOW! This is so amazing! I haven't even put any in a bowl yet and I can't keep my hands off of it. We like really hot spice so I added a jalapeno and pre-roasted the sweet potato cubes in the oven with a chipotle rub, sea salt and cayenne.
My husband and I love this recipe. I add a cup of water to make it a little more "soupy", but the flavor is still there! This is one of our favorites.
I actually made this a little less spicy with regular sausage and green peppers and it was great, kids loved it
Lately I've been very mindful of using up what's in my fridge and cupboard. I try to keep a lot of staples on hand to supplement the ingredients that I want to finish off before they go bad. Tonight I had sweet potatoes, an onion, and a bag of spinach that I needed to use up before expiration. I googled these ingredients and came across this recipe. Lucky me, I had a can of black beans in the cupboard. I halved the sweet potatoes and onions (since that was all that I had left), added the full amount of spices, honey, garlic, and coffee, added a can of black beans and chopped up the non-wilty spinach. I had no can of tomatoes, so I subbed 1 cup of chicken stock, the rest of my ketchup bottle (1/4 cup) and the rest (1/4 cup) of a Garlic grilling/marinade Tabasco Sauce that I had in the fridge. I followed all the instructions, adding the spinach and my chicken stock/ketchup/tabasco sauce mixture in lieu of the canned tomatoes. I served this over some long grain brown rice and this was perfect! Added a dab of Sriracha and I was rubbin' my buddha belly. Thank you for the fab flavored recipe!
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chili Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Chili Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Chili Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Chili Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Chili >
- Mexican Chilies >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Potato Soup >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >
- Sweet Potato Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >