- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a nonstick Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute sweet potatoes and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, coffee, honey, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
Sort By :
"Very good. I substituted broth for the coffee and added a little cinnamon."
"Awesome recipe, I had already brown lean ground beef, onion and green pepper before I found this recipe. I added one extra small can of diced tomatoes, approximately 2 more tablespoons chili powder, one tbls cumin and honey. This is a great recipe whether you modify it or not!"
"This is so good! A great healthy chili for a cold night. Every time I make this for others I get requests for the recipe."
"This sounds amazing! Can't wait to try it."
"WOW! This is so amazing! I haven't even put any in a bowl yet and I can't keep my hands off of it. We like really hot spice so I added a jalapeno and pre-roasted the sweet potato cubes in the oven with a chipotle rub, sea salt and cayenne."