- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in additional sugar. Place on greased baking sheets; flatten with a glass. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Sugar Cookies
"Easy to make. 1 inch balls are small but what's needed because they do spread a little. Plenty sweet. I added some of the decorative sugar crystals to tops and tapped into tops. Also used some colored sugars. Crunchy. Love them"
"Very very easy. Cooked for about a minute less than recommended. Came out soft and delicious. I squashed them to about 1/2 an inch each."
"Wonderful recipe. I used coconut oil for the shortening, and otherwise followed the recipe as written. They came out perfect."
"The cookies were great, I'll be making them, Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe."