There's no pizza delivery in our rural community, so I rely on this recipe instead. The edges of the no-fail homemade crust are filled with string cheese, and the hearty toppings can be varied to suit your preference. Try the dough for making breadsticks or bread bowls.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 4 ounces string cheese
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, yeast, sugar and salt.
- In a saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to the dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Let rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle cornmeal over a greased 14-in. pizza pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to prepared pan, letting dough drape over the edge. Cut string cheese in half lengthwise; place around edge of pan. Fold dough over string cheese; pinch to seal. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 375° for 5 minutes.
- Combine pizza sauce and 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning; spread half over crust. Sprinkle with beef mixture and mushrooms; cover with remaining pizza sauce mixture. Sprinkle with shredded cheeses and remaining Italian seasoning. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Yield: 8 slices.
Originally published as Stuffed-Crust Pizza in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p32
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for String Cheese Stuffed-Crust Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review