Pizza with Wheat Crust
If you're looking for a change from traditional pizza crust, try this whole wheat version from Kathryn Maxson of Mountlake Terrace, Washington. Covered with your choice of pizza toppings, the homemade crust is thick, tender and tasty.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 pizzas (8 slices each)
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pizza toppings of your choice, optional
- In a bread machine pan, place the first 10 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Divide dough in half; press each portion into a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Spread with pizza sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Add toppings if desired. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until the crust and cheese are lightly browned.