- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 package (.6 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened whole strawberries, thawed, drained and sliced
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 10 fresh strawberries, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, applesauce, egg whites and egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in strawberries. Using a sharp knife, cut a diamond pattern across top of hot cake; immediately pour gelatin mixture over cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Spread with whipped topping. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Yield: 20 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
"This was a very soggy cake. Very unappetizing . I through the receipe in the. Garbage."
"Very easy to make! Will definitely make again!"
"I made this for a covered dish dinner and it was a big hit, it was gone quickly. My husband asked me to make it again, I definitely will. I added 1 tsp. Vanilla to the cake batter, other than that I followed the recipe. This is a keeper! 5 stars!"
"Everyone loved this dessert! Mine looked marbelized like the picture. I will make this again. Simple and easy to make."
"This is truly a tried and true recipe with many variations. We called it poke cake years ago. I just love all the wonderful ideas of using vanilla pudding in the whipped cream or spreading custard pudding over the top with sprinkles. Super good ideas! If you bake the cake from scratch or buy one to bake this recipe is a winner!!!"
"I don't understand the part about cutting the diamond shape. Do you score the cake, cut through the cake, or what? I just poked the top evenly with a meat fork. This was a birthday favorite for my children growing up in the southern hemisphere since their birthdays fell in the 'summer' months of November & December. Nice cool cake for hot weather. I use 1/4 cup less water in the jello and use half hot water to dissolve and half cold water to make it set faster. I also poured custard pudding over the top and sprinkled with colorful sprinkles for birthdays. I didn't use the frozen fruit since I only had fresh."
"Excellent recipe. Refreshing and cannot tell it's low fat!!"
"This is a great an easy short cake recipe, it's been around for a long time..But why is Meledstick getting so defensive, most of us women who have been cooking awhile we like to do both quick easy an homemade from scratch. lol come on we are here for the same reason, to share an have fun with what we hav an or found... no attitudes no one knows it all, think about it"