- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 package (.6 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened whole strawberries, thawed, drained and sliced
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 10 fresh strawberries, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, applesauce, egg whites and egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in strawberries. Using a sharp knife, cut a diamond pattern across top of hot cake; immediately pour gelatin mixture over cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Spread with whipped topping. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Yield: 20 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
"Very easy to make! Will definitely make again!"
"I made this for a covered dish dinner and it was a big hit, it was gone quickly. My husband asked me to make it again, I definitely will. I added 1 tsp. Vanilla to the cake batter, other than that I followed the recipe. This is a keeper! 5 stars!"
"Kids love, love, love this dessert. Such stuff that dreams are made of! I wouldn't change a thing. D-lish! 1,000 stars lol, also not to forget to mention this is the perfect dessert for my son's diet."
"Everyone loved this dessert! Mine looked marbelized like the picture. I will make this again. Simple and easy to make."