Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Recipe
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 package (.6 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened whole strawberries, thawed, drained and sliced
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 10 fresh strawberries, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, applesauce, egg whites and egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in strawberries. Using a sharp knife, make a diamond pattern in the top of the hot cake; immediately pour gelatin mixture over cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Spread with whipped topping. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Yield: 20 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake Dessert(37)
Sort By :
my grandmother has made this for as long as I can remember. the only difference is she mixes a little vanilla pudding in with the whipped topping delicious!
This cake is great! I made it with my daughter for our family and shared some with my parents. They loved it and I made another one the next weekend for them.
I don't know what I did wrong. I followed the recipe as was shown, but it turned out too mushy. I will try this again, except, I will use a smaller pan, use fresh strawberries instead of frozen and maybe not so much water to the jello. If this turns out good, it's a keeper. If not, the cake will head to the landfill and the recipe deleted from my recipe box.
This cake is delicious...made for work and everyone raved about it! They couldn't believe how low in calories it was!
My son said it was the best cake I had ever made. I didnt have applesauce on hand so I just made the regular cake mix from the box instructions and used frest strawberries sliced with sugar (didnt read the recipe close enough until I had already had it ready to pour on the cake) and it was super easy and very good. A keeper.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Cakes >
- Apple Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Jello Cake >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Shortcake Recipes >