- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Grated Romano cheese and additional basil
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
Stir 1/4 cup basil and, if desired, sugar into sauce. Serve with spaghetti. Top with cheese and additional basil.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce in TasteofHome.com 2016
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review