- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Sour cream, optional
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the salsa, bread crumbs, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and zucchini are tender. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Zucchini Boats
"These were divine! I didn't microwave the zucchini prior to baking and they turned out fine. Wouldn't change a thing about this recipe, so good!"
"Love this! I used Italian sausage and added garlic."
"Had a long day at work and made these for dinner. I was going to pre-cook the zucchini in the microwave and then finish up in the oven but decided to cook them as written?and I'm glad I did. How easy?how delicious. We were eating one hour after I got home and that included changing my clothes and going to the garden to pick the zucchini. I used just under 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef so upped the salsa and seasoning amounts a bit. Did not have fresh cilantro but used fresh curly leaf parsley from the garden for a bit of freshness. Just the two of us so we have dinner for tomorrow already made!!! My husband said this recipe is a keeper!!!"
"this never says anything about adding the scooped out zucchini!! R U supposed to slice it, cube it, what????????"
"Delicious and so easy to make! My husband loved these!"