- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Sour cream, optional
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the salsa, bread crumbs, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and zucchini are tender. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Zucchini Boats(12)
Sort By :
Excellent flavor. Although I prefer cubing the zucchini, mixing the guts with the rest of the ingredients and using a small casserole dish rather than making boats.
These were excellent! Though the zucchini is rather bland, the stuffing is spicy enough to give each bite lots of taste. They were easy and fast to make also - without even using the oven.
These were very good. I used dried cilantro because I didn't have fresh-I think fresh would make it even better. I added some extra salsa because I added the scooped out zucchini to the ground beef mixture. Very easy using the microwave and nice not to have to turn the oven on.
Very good. Just in time for zucchini season! I'm using the leftover to bake a chocolate zucchini cake tonight.
These were delicious! I'm vegetarian, so used Morningstar crumbles, instead of ground beef. Yummmm!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinners >