These fun, filling pretzels with a mild Southwestern kick are the perfect snack for watching football games. And they'll score just as high with adults as they do with kids! —Cathy Tang, Redmond, Washington
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt
- Salsa con queso dip
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, minced onion and spices. Add water. Beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 16 equal portions; roll each into a 15-in. rope. Cover and let rest 10 minutes longer.
- Twist into pretzel shapes. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with egg. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Brush again with egg; sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake 10-13 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve pretzels warm with dip. Yield: 16 pretzels.
Originally published as Southwest Pretzels in Simple & Delicious January/February 2010, p59
Reviews for Southwest Pretzels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review