- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt
- Salsa con queso dip
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, minced onion and spices. Add water. Beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 16 equal portions; roll each into a 15-in. rope. Cover and let rest 10 minutes longer.
- Twist into pretzel shapes. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with egg. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Brush again with egg; sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake 10-13 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve pretzels warm with dip. Yield: 16 pretzels.
Reviews for Southwest Pretzels
"The taste was very bland. The egg wash did nothing except glue the pretzels to the baking sheet, none of the salt stuck. Not worth my time when I have other recipes that actually work."
"My husband and I love to make these for "football munchies"!"
"They were okay. Somewhat lacking in flavor, though, which was disappointing. Also I think they need more salt, but maybe that was just me. :)"
"did not make it yet"