Sourdough French Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup Sourdough Starter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- CORNSTARCH WASH:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the Sourdough Starter, oil, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough additional flour to form a soft ball.
- Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 20-30 times (dough will be slightly sticky). Place in a greased bow, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch ends to seal. Place, seam side down, on two greased baking sheets; tuck ends under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make four shallow diagonal slashes across top of each loaves. In a small saucepan, combine water and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Brush some over loaves.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Brush loaves with the remaining cornstarch wash. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (10 slices each).
Reviews for Sourdough French Bread
Sort By :
There is not enough flour for this amount of liquid. The dough is way to sticky.
Terrific recipe. A little sticky but fun to make. My husband loved it.
I never dreamed that I could actually make this. I am a novice bread baker. It took me 8 times over 30 years to make croissants work. This was awesome.
LOVED IT. USED BEAN STOCK IN PLACE OF WATER FOR MORE FLAVOR AND NUTRIENTS. ALSO SUBSTITUTED EGG WHITE FOR CORNSTARCH, AND USED BREAD FLOUR FOR HALF THE FLOUR.
UPDATE: ADDED 3 TBS. VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN AND USED 1 CUP OF RYE FLOUR. THIS BREAD GETS BETTER EVERY TIME I BAKE IT, WHICH IS NOW AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK. WE CAN'T STOP EATING IT!!!
Always turns out super. Wonderful texture. Do use more flour, though, as is pretty sticky.