- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped rhubarb (1/2-inch chunks)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- In a bowl, cream sugar, shortening and egg. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Gently fold in rhubarb until evenly distributed. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until done. Cool slightly before cutting into squares Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Sour Cream Rhubarb Coffee Cake
"nice crunchy topping...moist cake...good flavor...i used thawed frozen rhubarb...check fordoneness after 40 min....would make again."
"So delicious! I will definitely make this every rhubarb season, and maybe more than once! The topping is delicious and crunchy, and matches very well with the moist cake. The brown sugar in the recipe makes it sooo yummy! I substituted chopped pecans in the topping and loved it"
"I have already made this recipe several times. It has been a hit every time I've made it, and someone always asks where I got the recipe. Definite thumbs up!!"