Our daughter Judy won a blue ribbon with this recipe at the New York State Fair when we were living in Upstate New York. It's been a family favorite for 18 years.
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped rhubarb (1/2-inch chunks)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- In a bowl, cream sugar, shortening and egg. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Gently fold in rhubarb until evenly distributed. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until done. Cool slightly before cutting into squares Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Sour Cream Rhubarb Coffee Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p34
Reviews for Sour Cream Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review