Each year, we wait impatiently for the strawberries to start producing so we can make this great soup. The berry flavor is complemented by a sprinkling of sweetly spiced croutons. —Janice Mitchell, Aurora, Colorado
- 1 quart strawberries, halved
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons orange juice, optional
- CINNAMON-SUGAR CROUTONS:
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Place half of the mixture in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining strawberry mixture.
- Stir in cream and orange juice if desired. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, saute bread cubes in butter until golden brown. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar; toss to coat. Cool. Stir soup before serving; garnish with croutons. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Smooth Strawberry Soup in Quick Cooking July/August 2004, p65
Reviews for Smooth Strawberry Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2009 Edited Aug. 2, 2011
"This soup is amazing! It gets compliments every time."
Reviewed Jul. 18, 2008
"1 cup of evaporated milk can be used in place of half & half"