- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream and additional minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cumin, salt, chili powder and pepper.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onions and cilantro. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over meat mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream and additional cilantro if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Tamale Pie
Sort By :
I doubled the spices for our tastes and it was perfect. Slow Cooker Tamale Pie is now my all-time favorite crockpot receipe!
We found this dish good, but not outstanding. It seems the beef was missing something so perhaps we'd like it kicked up a notch and I'll make it spicier the next time. The sour cream and cornbread mixture was really good w/ the entire dish.
Whoa, this is really good! I did add one chopped green pepper and a small can of sliced black olives for a little extra interest. After mixing everything together, I tasted it and thought it might be a little tame for our tastes (we like things pretty spicy), so I doubled the chili powder and added some crushed red pepper flakes and garlic powder. This is definitely a keeper, and you can easily spice it up or down depending on what your family likes.
really good and easy.
Easy and tasty! A winner.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Mexican Casserole Recipes >
- Mexican Casseroles >