- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 beef top round steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Place the first seven ingredients in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Cut steak in half and sprinkle with salt and pepper; add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks. Return beef to slow cooker and stir in cilantro; heat through. Spritz both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Place in a single layer on baking sheets; broil 1-2 minutes on each side or until crisp. Spoon beef mixture over tortillas; top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and, if desired, sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Beef Tostadas
"This came out so tender!! We were a little concerned it would dry up b/c there was not any liquid added, but within two hours, there was a nice natural broth. We didn't care for the tortillas, so we might just use them as taco shells next time, or on top of a salad. We tend to like lots of spices, and found this to be a little on the bland side. However, great texture and very easy to make. I made quacamole and charro beans."
"I thought this would be too hot given the amount of spicy and hot ingredients, but it turned out to be real tasty. Using a small amount in a serving, along with adding the tortillas and veggies, can moderate the heat. Will definitely want to make again!"
"Yummy and easy to prepare-nice for a summer evening's dinner"
"Hubby and I liked the flavor of this very much. I will make these again but I will choose a different cut of meat. The round steak got tough in the slow cooker and I only cooked it a couple of hours instead of the 6 - 8 hours as listed in the recipe. But the flavor was good."
"Made this tonight!!! So good!! So easy!! This meat would be great wrapped in a flour tortilla also and eaten like a burrito. The options are endless with this."
"The beef comes out perfectly seasoned. I put the beef mixture over a bed of lettuce, and ate it like a salad."