- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope (1-1/2 ounces) beef Stroganoff seasoning for the slow cooker
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup port wine or beef broth
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil. Add water and seasoning mix, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Transfer meat and drippings to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Combine the wine, mustard and sugar; stir into the mushroom mixture. Add to slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in sour cream. Serve with noodles. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
"This is my favorite beef stroganoff recipe. My family loves this dish as well. My husband loves the fresh mushrooms. My children and I do not like the mushrooms, but we pick around them. This dish is easy to prep, just takes some time in the morning. I use the beef broth instead of the wine when I make it. The meat is tender and the flavor is outstanding. This recipe is one of our favorite slow cooker recipes!"
"had this tonight for supper - my hubbie of 43 years thought it was wonderful! Was easy with few ingredients - a little prep then everything into the crock pot for 6 hours! Since retiring the end of 2014 - been trying new recipes! So far, they have all been great!"
"This was pretty good...I used beef broth and I tried to lighten it up by using less olive oil and low fat sour cream. It made decent sized servings...forgot to put the parsley on top!!"
"My husband rated this receipe 5 stars. I used the beef broth, not the port wine. We wiished I'd doubled the receipe so there would be more leftovers."
"My husband loved this!"
"Good flavor and the meat was very tender. Great over noodles or with creamed potatoes."
"I've been trying to find a good Stroganoff recipe and this is definitely not it. I was very disappointed ! Unfortunately this recipe has absolutely no taste whatsoever! I'm still on the hunt for a good one!"
"Everyone in the family loves this recipe. The beef always comes out melt in your mouth tender."
"Using the crock pot was a great way to make beef stroganoff! I thought it was a little salty, but that was the stroganoff seasoning mix I used. I really liked the flavor the port wine added, I'm glad I used it instead of the broth."
"What burns me is when people rate a recipe that they have changed. Also my question to the woman who rated this recipe 1-Star...seriously ketchup and mustard in Stroganoff????!!!!!! Did you buy the right seasoning package????? This recipe was very good....I did use beef broth as opposed to Port simply because I didn't have any Port"