Slow-Cooked Thai Peanut Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Transfer to a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, orange juice, marmalade, oil, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce and 3/4 cup coconut milk; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small saucepan, bring the rice, water and remaining coconut milk to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Serve with chicken and sauce; sprinkle with peanuts. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Thai Peanut Chicken(9)
Sort By :
I made this for myself one weekend using 2 large bone-in chicken breasts when my family was all away. I decided to try it on my family one time and they loved it. I used the chicken thighs then. They thought it was bit too thick and peanut buttery, but I made it again and used a whole can of cocoanut milk to the sauce and it was delicious and a huge hit the next time with no left overs.
Forgot to add that I chopped 3 green onions and added them to the sauce.
This was so good. I tasted the sauce prior to adding it to the crock pot and decided it needed a little zip so I added a tsp. of grd. ginger and a Tbsp. of sherry. Next time I will also add some lime zest and chopped cilantro. I took some one else's advice and shredded the chicken with a couple of meat forks right in the pot about 30 min. before it was done. Served it over cooked rice. Great comfort food!
I thought this recipe was great! The sauce is so smooth and silky and I didn't find it too sweet - neither did my husband and he doesn't like overly sweet foods. If you want some spice, I'd add some red pepper flakes, but I'm OK with mild food. I also used chicken breasts and cooked for 5 hours, very tender!
I skipped the coconut milk in the rice and served it with fresh lime wedges and cilantro. Maybe it helped cut the sweet flavor some reviewers didn't like.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Peanut Butter Chicken >
- Peanut Butter Recipes >
- Peanut Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs >