- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Place beef and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the flour, paprika, garlic salt and pepper; sprinkle over beef and stir to coat. Stir in tomatoes; add bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Just before serving, stir in sour cream; heat through. Serve with noodles.
- Freeze option: Before adding sour cream, cool stew. Freeze stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Hungarian Goulash
"The recipe as written is bland. This was delicious after my fixes. I followed the recipe once. This time, I added two cloves of garlic then braised the meat and deglazed the pan with the tomatoes. That was intentional. When I reached for my paprika, I found I was out. I used chili powder instead. Happy accident. I will never use paprika in this again. Maybe that disqualifies it as goulash, but I don't care, it was way better this way."
"Rivalled my Slovenian mother in laws. I used moose instead of beef because we are a family of hunters. I added two beef bullion cubes and a cup of water to the slow cooker, along with two additional tbsp of flour and skipped the sour cream all together. Would use this recipe again!"
"It was good, but bland."
"Made this just as the recipe said and it was delicious!"
"I really liked this. A good dish for the winter months. Creamy and mild in taste. Had with egg noodles."
"My family enjoyed this recipe very much. I like the simplicity of it"
"Out of 7 reviews, I only see 2 that give this recipe higher stars, and both of those reviews had to "tweak" the recipe. I won't be making this."
"I used a 10 oz. can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chili's and 1/2 can tomato sauce with green chili's to give it some twang!"
"It was simple but bland."
"I made this and it turned out very very runny. Before feeding it to my boyfriend I had him taste it. He couldn`t spit it out fast enough."