- 6 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 corned beef briskets with spice packets (3 pounds each)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 4 cups water
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the potatoes, carrots and onion. Add briskets (discard spice packets from corned beef or save for another use). Sprinkle the brown sugar, sugar, coriander and peppercorns over meat. Pour water over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Thinly slice one brisket across the grain and serve with vegetables. Save the remaining brisket for Reuben Strata (recipe also in Recipe Finder) or save for another use. Yield: 6 servings plus leftovers.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Corned Beef
"Added more veggies, used 1 4 lb brisket. Cooked on low for 11 hrs and it was done to perfection! I did add the spice packet also."
"I cut this recipe's meat, potatoes, and liquid quantity in half but kept the other vegetables amount the same and added two sticks of celery. I also cut the seasonings and sugar in half but did included the spice pack that comes with the corned beef. We had family over and everyone loved it. I barely had any leftovers!"
"This recipe reminded me of the way my mom would make corned beef! Super easy to put together and the house smelled great all day. I followed other reviewers' and added the spice pack. The beef was excellent. A great combination of savory and not too sweet."
"Thought this was easy and delicious! I added the carrots, potatoes, onions, brown sugar and water. I saved the packets and added them as well. The veggies were just perfect. I made Corned beef on rye bread (with mustard) sandwiches and had the veggies on the side. Thanks for sharing!!"
"I used the spice package with the corned beef. Easy to make and delicious but needs a few more carrots"
"Three words: Easy, Quick, Delicious"
"Loved this!! Thank you harrisonju and cjremy for your advice. I completely agree with both of you.Put all the veggies on the bottom and the corned beef on top. Do not discard the spice packets that comes with the corned beef. No need to add the other listed spices."
"I agree with cjremy. Just the spice packets, and veggies are a great way to make corned beef. I used to make it on the stove, brought to a boil, covered and simmer til tender. I use carrots, potatoes and cabbage. Also great served with rye bread!"
"I have used a similar recipe very successfully for years--here are the differences. Don't discard the spice packets-use it in place of the other listed spices. Sugar isn't really needed. Placed the veggies on the bottom as directed. I've learned the liquid should fill the the pot about half to 3/4 to the top of the pot-covering the corned beef. Adding the veggies in the beginning will not come out mushy at all, just melt in your mouth tasty. You can leave them in larger pieces or you can use the small whole potatoes. Then for the last hour of cooking you can add cabbage, if desired. Very simple meal but so delicious.I usually cook it on low 8-9 hours."
"NoVaKat has been in the kitchen, and I agree, big DITO...an easy meal to prepare, foolproof & taste if you follow NoVaKat's advice.and taste.0zzarkie"