“These sandwiches are fork-tender, mouthwatering good, and so easy to fix. They always get rave reviews!” Cher Schwartz - Ellisville, Missouri
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- 12 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- Cut roast in half; place in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Combine the broth, dressing mix and seasonings; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices; reserve 1 cup juices. Shred beef and return to slow cooker. Stir in reserved cooking juices; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, place beef on bun bottoms; layer with cheese and vegetables. Replace bun tops. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Italian Beef Sandwiches in Healthy Cooking December/January 2010, p44
Reviews for Simple Italian Beef Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review