- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 12 eggs
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and remaining salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and cream. Stir in the spinach, feta and cooled white sauce. Pour over sausage mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. For topping, toss bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Top with Parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Scrambled Egg Spinach Casserole
Sort By :
I made one small change...substituted mushrooms for the sausage. Delicious!
I love this recipe!
I halved the recipe and made it in an 8x8 pan and it turned out beautifully. I used hot italian turkey sausage and panko crumbs. It was very easy and served with some sliced fruit and a mini croissant, was a lovely late breakfast.
This was good without the topping and cuts back on the carbs. I didn't want to buy a container of half-and-half for just 3 tablespoons, so I used fat free milk. It turned out just fine with the milk.