- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Cut squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a large skillet; add onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, beat egg and milk; stir in the spinach, bread crumbs, cranberries and sausage mixture.
- Turn squash cut side up. Stuff with sausage mixture. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Sort By :
"Good concept but yields a flavorless dud.The problem with the recipe is you should never not roast a squash and the squash with mix in the oven. Microwaving just makes everything soggy. Further, no seasonings, not even salt or pepper are added for flavor.I made it again but with some additional ingredients and different heating method.After cutting the squash in half and scooping out the innards, line the halved squash with brown sugar and a little bit of salt. Roast for about 10 minutes so it caramelizes and the salt brings out the flavors. Do the same mixture provided but add either oregano, rosemary, or even Italian seasoning if you have it, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Put the mixture within the squashes, and roast again until the meat is cooked."
"This was a really good recipe. I made half exactly as written and the other half vegan for my niece. For her portion I used vegan "meat" crumbles and left out the milk and egg. I mixed mine up first and used it as a model for hers; which I slowly added water to match the consistency. She actually liked it better than me and said she is going to make it again for Thanksgiving for herself and my sister who is also vegan."
"Really good. My husband was very surprised that it was from the microwave."
"Very good, i will definitely make again."